4.09.2019

Fruitcake

So... I made fruitcake November 2017.
Dark rum, lots of dried fruit rehydrated in dark rum, then baked into a cake filled with dark rum. Then I soaked the cake in dark rum, wrapped it in cheesecloth that had soaked in dark rum, soaked it again in dark rum...
You get the picture.I used 1 1/2 bottles of rum to get 2 loaf sized cakes.
Richard badgered me into bringing the loaves off the shelf to the kitchen to check them. They should be moldy, right? They should not be good still. No way they're still good.
Nope.
They are fantabulous. I assume on 1 because I'm lazy and don't want to open the 2nd. I want to let it ripen more/still/yet. I'll pull it, re-rum it, yes, but it still needs to keep ripening.
The one I opened? Unwrapped from the plastic wrap and cheesecloth? The cheesecloth was still damp.
The cake?
Still moist, still smelling heavily of rum, but the rum kick doesn't pop in until later. Dense, delicious. Needs a cup of milk to have with it.

1 comment:

spcknght said...

OMG, amazing.

Found a dead link to your 2013 wish list for Amazon for Christmas. Damn, I'm gonna miss the Secret Santa on G+.